Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The corporate Council Policy on Climate Change
is adopted to form part of the Council’s Policy
The Deputy Leader and Housing, People and Innovation Portfolio Holder reported that, as part of the work of the Green Team, a corporate Council Policy on Climate Change as detailed in Appendix 3 to the report, had been drafted.
The Policy represented a public recognition of the importance of Climate Change, an awareness of the economic and other opportunities offered by both tackling and adapting to meet the challenge of climate change and a series of ways in which the Council could reflect the importance of climate change, both in how it managed itself and how it worked with partners at the local, regional and national level.
The Policy set out the following Council commitments:-
· Work with central government, county and neighbouring councils, national park authorities and other stakeholders, to contribute, at a local level, to the delivery of the target for carbon dioxide reduction set out in the UK Carbon budget by 2022 and other local and regional carbon reduction targets.
· Participate in local and regional networks for support.
· Develop plans and support projects with our partners and local communities to progressively address the causes and the impacts of climate change, according to our local priorities, securing maximum benefit for our communities.
· Publicly declare, within appropriate plans and strategies, the commitment to achieve a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions from our own authority's operations, especially energy sourcing and use, travel and transport, waste production and disposal and the purchasing of goods and services.
· Assess the risk associated with climate change and the implications for our services and our communities of climate change impacts and adapt accordingly.
· Encourage all sectors in our local community to take the opportunity to adapt to the impacts of climate change, to reduce their own greenhouse gas emissions and to make public their commitment to action.
· Monitor the progress of our plans against the actions needed and publish the result.
· Work with others to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to climate change.
The Portfolio Holder hoped all Members would be content to endorse the Policy and lead the way forward.
Members acknowledged a need for collaborative working, to recognise the wider implications and their responsibility to engaged and lead the way with colleagues and local communities.
The Leader and Promoting South Lakeland Portfolio Holder thanked the Environment Portfolio Holder for her leadership with regard to Climate Change. He stressed the fact that predictions were becoming ever more dramatic and drew attention to the role that local authorities had to play in terms of their own estate and influencing others.
RESOLVED – That the corporate Council Policy on Climate Change be approved for recommendation to Council for adoption as part of the Council’s Policy Framework.
Reasons for Decision
The Council Policy on Climate change is a key strategic document for the organisation. The Policy forms part of the overall Policy Framework.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected
The alternative option is not to approve the Council policy on Climate Change as part of the Council’s Policy Framework. This is not recommended as the Policy acknowledges that climate change is occurring, and seeks to maximise the social, economic and environmental benefits which come from combating, and developing resilience to, climate change and developing a sustainable economy.
Report author: Dan Hudson
Publication date: 08/02/2019
Date of decision: 06/02/2019
Decided at meeting: 06/02/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 18/02/2019