Decision Maker: Council
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
To consider the principles of the Council's
response to the Government's consultation on local government
reform in Cumbria
Copies of Appendices 1 and 2 to the report, which had been marked “to follow” on the agenda had been circulated to Members and published on the Council’s website on 19 March 2021.
The Leader of the Council and Promoting South Lakeland Portfolio Holder reported that at the meetings on 5 November 2020 Cabinet and Council had authorised the submission of an outline proposal to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG). The outline proposal was agreed by Lancaster City and Barrow Borough Councils and submitted by the required deadline of 9 November 2020. Since that date, work had continued on the development of the proposal which was submitted by the deadline of 9 December 2020.
The Leader informed Members that the Government had decided to consult on all four proposals for Local Government Reorganisation and that the Council would be providing a response to the other proposals. He highlighted the extensive consultation being undertaken by the Council to reach out to stakeholders as well as members of the public and that other proposals were set out in the report, which included the following:-
· The Bay and North Cumbria;
· Two unitary in Cumbria;
· Eden, Carlisle and Allerdale/ Copeland, Barrow and South Lakeland (proposed by Carlisle and Eden as North and South unitaries);
· Carlisle, Allerdale and Copeland/ Barrow, South Lakeland and Eden (proposed by Allerdale and Copeland Councils as East and West unitaries); and
The Leader of the Council and Promoting South Lakeland Portfolio Holder informed Members that the final submission would be taken from the wording of the documents attached at Appendix 1 and 2 to the report, with minor amendments being made by the Chief Executive. He confirmed that any major changes would be brought back to Council for a decision before the final submission date of 19 April 2021. The Leader confirmed that the Council would not be submitting a response to the proposals for North Yorkshire.
During discussion, Members expressed their support for Local Government Reform. Some Members raised concerns over the criticisms of the other proposals and a lack of consideration for the other options proposed.
A vote was taken by roll call and it was
RESOLVED – That Council endorsed the Cabinet resolutions that:-
(1) The update on the consultation process following submission of the Bay Unitary Proposal was received;
(2) The approach of the Council to the consultation responses as outlined in the report and Appendix 1 was endorsed;
(3) The approach to submitting additional commentary on The Bay and North Cumbria proposal as outlined in Appendix 2 was endorsed; and
(4) The Chief Executive, in consultation with the Leader was authorised to finalise the response to the consultation for submission to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government by the 19th April 2021 deadline.
Report author: David Sykes
Publication date: 05/05/2021
Date of decision: 23/03/2021
Decided at meeting: 23/03/2021 - Council