Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Providing Cabinet with an overview of the work
across SLDC to alleviate poverty and reduce ineqaulities - to
deliver a fairer South Lakeland.
The Health, Wellbeing and Poverty Alleviation Portfolio Holder presented a report outlining the Council’s work to reduce inequalities and help deliver a fairer South Lakeland, focusing particularly on the development of a Poverty Truth Commission. The report aimed to inform Cabinet of the programme of work and sought approval to allocate £20,000 of poverty alleviation funding to support the Poverty Truth Commission.
The Portfolio Holder talked in detail on the report and drew particular attention to inclusion in the Council Plan of 11 targets out of 39 which fell within the “Fairer South Lakeland” priority. Also reinforced was the need for tackling rural inequalities and the fact that South Lakeland’s Poverty Truth Commission was to be unique as the first Poverty Truth Commission with a largely rural focus and which the national Poverty Truth Network was keen to investigate and support.
RESOLVED – That
(1) the work underway to reduce inequalities be noted;
(2) approval be given for making a grant award of £20,000 from the Council’s Poverty Alleviation Fund to the identified lead/accountable body for the Poverty Truth Commission and authority be delegated to the Director of Strategy, Innovation and Resources, in consultation with the Lead Specialist for Legal, Governance and Democracy and Lead Specialist for Finance, to agree the detail of and enter into a grant funding agreement accordingly;
(3) the approach outlined in paragraph 3.11 of the report of SLDC submitting 2 x applications for grant funding for the South Lakeland Poverty Truth Commission to the Health Improvement Fund be approved and also for South Lakeland District Council to act as lead/accountable body for this grant funding;
(4) subject to the success of the funding applications outlined at (3) above, receipt by South Lakeland District Council of any grant funding in the sum of up to £40,000 from the Health Improvement Fund in respect of the South Lakeland Poverty Truth Commission be approved and authority be delegated to the Director of Strategy, Innovation and Resources, in consultation with the Lead Specialist for Legal, Governance and Democracy and Lead Specialist for Finance, to agree the detail of and enter into any necessary grant funding agreements with the respective grant funding bodies accordingly; and
(5) Subject to (3) and (4) above, approval be given for making a further grant to the identified lead/accountable body for the Poverty Truth Commission of such grant funding as is received from the Health Improvement Fund for the purposes of the Poverty Truth Commission and the Director of Strategy, Innovation and Resources be delegated authority, in consultation with the Lead Specialist for Legal, Governance and Democracy and Lead Specialist for Finance, to agree the detail of and enter into any necessary grant funding agreements with the identified lead organisation of the South Lakeland Poverty Truth Commission.
Reasons for Decision
To assist in the delivery of the Council Plan - A fairer South Lakeland – halve the proportion of households in poverty and eliminate child poverty, protecting the vulnerable and helping people out of poverty, providing energy advice and additional support to households in fuel poverty.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected
No alternative options to the overview of Fairer South Lakeland work.
Cabinet could decide not to fund the PTC. However, this would be damaging to the PTC project which would need to find £20,000 from an alternative source. This would have knock-on implications for the lead organisation and their ability to deliver the PTC. In addition, it would damage the Council’s standing on the support group, which has understood the funding to be a possibility from the outset.
Report author: Simon Blyth
Publication date: 22/10/2021
Date of decision: 20/10/2021
Decided at meeting: 20/10/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 01/11/2021