Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To consider approval in principle for the
acquisition and disposal of land for employment
Councillor Ashcroft Economy, Culture and Leisure Portfolio Holder presented the report to Cabinet, stating that the Council intends to acquire land from Glaxo Operations UK Limited and subsequently make a disposal of the land to enable new employment.
RESOLVED – That:-
(1) Authority is delegated to the Director of Customer and Commercial Services and Legal, Governance and Democracy Lead Specialist to enter into negotiations with Glaxo Operations UK Limited on the terms of the land donation as described in paragraphs 3.1 to 3.9, approval of which would be subject to a future Cabinet decision.
(2) in principle (subject to the acquisition of the land donation site as referred to above) the subsequent disposal of the land at a ‘less than best’ consideration as described in paragraphs 3.10 to 3.13 of the report be approved, in the interest of furthering the successful economic development of Ulverston and wider District;
(3) authority is delegated to the Director of Customer and Commercial Services and Legal, Governance and Democracy Lead Specialist in consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Economy and Culture and Portfolio Holder for Finance and Assets, to negotiate terms within the framework described in paragraphs 3.14 to 3.17 of the report, and subject to doing so, enter agreement with the third party;
(4) authority is delegated to the Director of Customer and Commercial Services and Legal, Governance and Democracy Lead Specialist to negotiate the terms (once heads of terms have been agreed within the framework) and complete the disposal of the land with the third party together with any associated documentation; and
(5) In the event terms cannot be agreed within the framework, terms are brought back to Cabinet for consideration.
Reasons for Decision
The proposal enables the development of a significant employment site for the Morecambe Bay economic region, securing investment and high value jobs. It provides and safeguards jobs to grow our working age population. It delivers business space, providing support and affordable premises for new start-ups and enables sustainable growth in the district.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected
The Council could refuse the land donation from GSK and ask them to dispose of it on the open market. This would however remove from the Council’s control (other than through its development management function) over who would become the end user of the site. It would also remove the Council’s ability to put together an attractive package of support for Lakes Bioscience, making it significantly less likely that Ulverston would secure the high value jobs and investment.
Report author: Gareth Candlin
Publication date: 04/04/2022
Date of decision: 09/03/2022
Decided at meeting: 09/03/2022 - Cabinet