Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
RESOLVED – That
(1) subject to the delegated decision at (2) below, approval be given for the award of the contract to the successful tenderer as detailed within the Part II Appendix 1 to the report and authority be delegated to the Director of Customer and Commercial Services to enter into an agreement on behalf of the District Council with the successful tenderer; and
(2) the Economy, Culture and Leisure Portfolio Holder, the Housing and Innovation Portfolio Holder, the Finance Portfolio Holder and the Director of Customer and Commercial Services be delegated authority to approve any additional Council contribution required in accordance with the Council’s Budget and Policy Framework.
Reasons for Decision
The public realm scheme for the Square in Burton-in-Kendal links closely to several Council priorities in the Council Plan, as set out below:-
Our vision and values
The scheme will contribute to:-
· Creating an environment for people to thrive at the heart of the village of Burton and encourage the repair and re-use of other buildings.
· Empowering customers and communities, as evidenced in the very close involvement in the scheme design by Parish Council representatives and local residents – and the impetus to explore further improvements after the PsiCA scheme concludes. (See paragraph 5.2 of the report.).
· Being a forward thinking, innovative, council.
Housing and communities
The Square enhancement scheme, together with the accompanying building repair grant scheme, will contribute in a modest but important way (in the context of the centre of Burton-in-Kendal) by promoting the repair and residential reuse of at least eight prominent, empty and or derelict properties in the centre of the village.
Economy and culture
The scheme will contribute to:-
· Attracting external funding and delivering critical infrastructurethrough the incorporation of a significant drainage improvement within the scheme and associated funding from DEFRA through the County Council.
· Using culture and built heritage to support our unique offer.
· Developing town (and village) centres which are attractive and accessible for living, working, culture and leisure.
· Working with local communities to improve, manage and promote accessible public realm.
Health and environment
The scheme contributes to this priority by:-
· Encouraging cycling and walking, through improved pedestrian surfaces and footways.
· Working with partners in the scheme design to mitigate the impact of major flood incidents.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected
The need for a public realm improvement scheme forms a key element of the overall PSiCA programme for Burton-in-Kendal approved by Historic England, so possible alternative candidate sites for enhancement have not been considered. However the design of the scheme for the Square has gone through many iterations as a result of detailed consultation with local residents, Parish Council and Cumbria County Council.
While it does not comprise an alternative option, the consultation on the scheme for the Square, has raised the local community’s awareness of the constraints and hazards for pedestrians of the busy main road through the village. This has resulted in the exploration by the Parish Council of potential funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund for a separate, later scheme for traffic calming and enhancement of the whole main street through the village.
Publication date: 13/09/2019
Date of decision: 11/09/2019
Decided at meeting: 11/09/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 23/09/2019