Venue: Not Applicable
Contact: Una Bell
This report is presented to consider the renewal of Public Space Protection Orders (PSPO), on Parish and Town Council owned lands to impose restrictions on the use of an area and/or those people using that area, focussing on the control of dogs.
(Director of Customer and Commercial Services)
Consideration was given to the approval for the reinstatement of Public Space Protection Orders (PSPOs) focused on the control of dogs. These PSPOs had been in force since 1st March 2018 and lasted for a period of 3 years. A consultation process supported the view that these orders should be renewed and added that amendments to the existing PSPOs were required. Additionally, a new Order was proposed to prevent the use of barbeques and the lighting of bonfires on SLDC Parks and Open Spaces.
The report noted that enforcement of the PSPOs was to be focused on prevention through awareness using leaflets, signs and targeted enforcement in hot spots with the support of Locality Officers, community groups and Community Police Officers. The report further noted exemptions to the PSPOs which included but were not limited to people registered as blind under section 29 of the National Assistance Act 1948.
The PSPO review was consulted on with an online questionnaire which was advertised from 12 January 2021 to 09 March 2021. Due to Covid restrictions SLDC were unable to carry out any face to face activities.
(1) To approve the reinstatement of a PSPO in defined areas across the district which are identified in Appendix 1 for the following restrictions:-
· Fouling of land by dogs restriction
· Dogs on lead by direction restriction
· Dogs on lead restriction
· Dog exclusion restriction
· Number of dogs walked by an individual restriction, limited to five dogs.
· Dogs on leads restriction in Rothay Park Children’s Playground.
(2) To approve a new PSPO for the following areas:-
· Dog exclusion on a Sports Pitch where no other facilities are available. This includes:
o Jubilee Fields Kendal
o Wattsfield, Kendal
o Netherfield, Kendal
o Dean Gibson, Kendal
· Dog exclusion on the paddock at Maryfell, Sedbergh.
· Dogs on leads restriction when crossing Kendal Golf course.
· Dogs on leads at the car park at Jubilee Fields Endmoor.
· Dogs exclusion on Jubilee Playing Fields Endmoor.
· Barbeques and Bonfires are not permitted on SLDC owned Parks and Open Spaces
o Rayrigg Meadow, Windermere
o The Glebe, Bowness
o Lightburn Park, Ulverston
o Nobles Rest, Kendal
o Abbot Hall, Kendal
o Borrans Park, Ambleside
(3) To approve that subject to review if all requirements are satisfied a PSPO can be extended for a further three years.
Reasons for Decision
The PSPOs ensured that South Lakeland was a better place to live, work and explore by looking after the environment for all to enjoy and considering health implications of dog fouling in parks and open spaces.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected
The report stated that the consultation responses had established that these restrictions were required and not making them was not a recommended option.